Gammelgården Museum in Scandia, MN has been celebrating and educating the public about the Scandinavian immigrant stories of the St. Croix River Region for 40 years. Its biggest event of the year is coming up on August 18 – Spelmanstämma.
The “fiddler gathering” is a summer tradition in Sweden, when musicians gather to play and teach each other new tunes. The songs are never written down, but are passed on from fiddler to fiddler.
After dark, the stars will be the star of the show. WCCO’s Mike Lynch will lead a star-gazing party, providing information about the stars used by immigrants for navigation.
- 10:00 – 2:00 Historic Buildings Open Free to the Public!
- 10:00 – 2:00 Art and Craft Fair Open
- 10:00 – 4:00 Gazebo Food Sales Open
- 12:00 – 2:00 Children’s Activities: arts/crafts/games
- 2:00 – 4:00 Fiddling begins featuring the ASI Spelmans Lag!
- 4:00- 8:00 Historic buildings reopen with “Immigrant inspired” activities and historical characters.
- 6:00- 8:00 Swedish Pulled Pork Supper w/Corn on the Cob & Root Beer Floats
($8 adult/$4 preschooler in advance, $10 adult/$5 preschooler after August 15)
- Local musicians play
- 8:15 American Swedish Institute Spelmans Lag plays
- 8:30 Mike Lynch Star Gazing Party at Gammelgården Museum!
Bring your chairs and blankets and gather west of the Immigrant Hus.
For more information, visit www.gammelgardenmuseum.org/spelmansstamma.shtm or call 651-433-5053.