Thanks to Phil Pfuehler of the River Falls Journal for sharing his great story about the 144-year-old Kinnickkinic Church between River Falls and Roberts, Wisconsin. Its long, interesting history is matched by the dedicated volunteer group which takes care of it today.
The little clapboard church in Kinnickinnic went up shortly after the Civil War when Ulysses S. Grant was president. Built for $2,000, it opened in December 1868 and was shared by the area’s Methodists and Congregationalists for services on alternate Sundays.
The Methodist design included pews with a divider down the middle keeping men and women on opposite sides. A bell in the tower was reportedly given by a Mississippi steamboat captain.